Grilled Strawberry Shortcake Recipe
Published June 22, 2011 | Written by James Schend
Basting strawberries with honey-bourbon syrup kicks this summertime classic up a notch or two without adding a lot of sugar.
Cooking tip: To make turning the skewered strawberries a little easier, thread berries onto two skewers instead of one.
|Serving size:||1 Slice|
|Calories per serving:||300|
- 1 quart whole fresh strawberries
- 1/4 cup honey or maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon brandy, bourbon, or water
- 1 (10.75-ounce) frozen pound cake, thawed
- Vegetable cooking spray
- Vanilla frozen yogurt
Step by Step:
- Thread strawberries onto skewers, leaving at least 1/4 inch between each and set aside. In a small bowl, stir together honey and brandy and set aside. Cut pound cake into 1/2-inch thick slices and spray both sides with cooking spray.
- Grill strawberries over medium-low direct heat, 5 to 6 minutes or until hot, brushing occasionally with honey mixture. Remove and set aside; keep warm. Grill pound cake slices 3 minutes per side or until golden brown.
- To serve, place 1 to 2 cake slices on a plate; top with frozen yogurt and warm strawberries.