Grilled Fennel with Chipotle Sauce
Published February 7, 2013 | Written by The Healthline Editorial Team
Fennel is frequently used in salad and other dishes, but is rarely the star. In this recipe, it takes center stage with a spicy Romesco-like sauce.
|Serving size:||1 slice|
|Calories per serving:||68|
|Total Fat 3.3g||5%|
- 1 chipotle chili in adobo sauce
- 1/2 cup almonds, roasted
- 4 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large red bell pepper, roasted, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 1 cup tomatoes, diced and seeded
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup water, or more as needed
- 2 large fennel bulbs
- Vegetable cooking spray
Step by Step:
- Combine the chipotle, almonds, garlic, bell pepper, tomato, vinegar, and water in a food processor. Process into a pourable liquid, adding more water as necessary. Let stand for 15 minutes and adjust seasoning with additional vinegar.
- Prepare grill for medium-high direct heat.
- Trim stalks 1/2 inch above the fennel bulbs. Slice fennel lengthwise into quarters, trimming away the thickest part of the central core, but keeping the layers intact and attached. Spray with cooking spray and grill 5 minutes per side, or until tender.
- Serve fennel with sauce on the side.