Fresh-from-the-Garden Tomato Soup
Published January 30, 2013 | Written by The Healthline Editorial Team
If your tomatoes are really ripe, as end of the season tomatoes usually are, you can reduce the amount sugar or eliminate it altogether.
|Serving size:||Approximately 2 cups|
|Calories per serving:||119|
|Total Fat 1.2g||2%|
- 4 cups fresh tomatoes, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 2 cups reduced-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sugar, or to taste
Step by Step:
- In a large Dutch oven or stockpot sprayed with vegetable cooking spray, cook onion over medium-high heat until tender, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook 30 seconds. Add tomatoes and cook 3 to 4 minutes, or just until tomatoes start to break down. Add broth and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes. Remove from heat and using an immersion blender, puree the soup until smooth.
- Return soup to a simmer over medium-low heat and stir in basil. Simmer 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Adjust seasoning with sugar and soy sauce.