Crispy Smashed Parsnips
Published March 13, 2013 | Written by The Healthline Editorial Team
Crispy on the outside and fluffy in the middle with the welcome freshness of thyme, this side dish is an exciting alternative to honey-roasted parsnips. Serve these with your next Sunday roast.
|Serving size:||1 parsnip|
|Calories per serving:||197|
|Total Fat 3.9g||6%|
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 4 parsnips, peeled and sliced
- 4 tbsp. honey
- 4 tsp. fresh thyme
- 1/2 pepper
Step by Step:
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- Heat a large saucepan of salted water over high heat until boiling. Add the parsnips then reduce the heat and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until the parsnips are tender. Drain the parsnips and set aside.
- Drizzle the oil on a baking sheet and evenly space the parsnips sliced side down on the sheet. Press a potato masher into each parsnip halve to "smash." Use a pastry brush to paste some of the excess oil over each parsnip. Season with the salt, pepper, and thyme and drizzle with the honey.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the parsnips are golden brown.