Cream of Broccoli
Published February 7, 2013 | Written by The Healthline Editorial Team
Cream of broccoli soup is a fast and easy option for a full-flavored meal any time of year.
Cooking tip: Once you begin to add the milk and sour cream, make sure to not bring the soup to a boil or you run the risk of curdling. If you're reheating it in a microwave, be sure to heat only on 50% power, stirring every 30 seconds.
|Serving size:||approx. 1 1/3 cups|
|Calories per serving:||165|
|Total Fat 6.2g||10%|
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 4 1/2 cups broccoli, chopped
- 2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1/2 cup low-fat sour cream
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 teaspoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
Step by Step:
- In a large Dutch oven or stockpot sprayed with cooking spray, cook onions 3 minutes or until translucent. Add broccoli and water and cook covered, about 8 minutes or until broccoli stems are tender.
- Remove 1/2 cup of broccoli and chop finely. Set aside for garnish.
- Puree remaining broccoli, cooking liquid, and milk in batches in a food processor or blender. Puree until smooth.
- Return mixture to pan and whisk in remaining ingredients. Heat over medium-low heat until hot, but not boiling. Serve topped with 1 tablespoon reserved chopped broccoli.