Chocolate Mocha Peppermint Cake with Peppermint Drizzle
Published February 8, 2013 | Written by The Healthline Editorial Team
What better way to celebrate the holidays than with this mocha peppermint combination? This is a festive dessert that will both please guests and keep your diet on track.
|Serving size:||1 slice|
|Calories per serving:||110|
|Total Fat 3.8g||6%|
- 1 cup organic sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso powder
- 2 1/2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 5 egg whites
- 1 cup confectioner's sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons 60% cocoa chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons fat-free vanilla soymilk
- 2 or 3 peppermint hard candies, coarsely crushed
Step by Step:
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9 inch spring-form cake pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, stir together sugar, water, and espresso powder until the sugar dissolves, about 2 minutes. Whisk in the chocolate, egg yolks, and vanilla until the chocolate is smooth, about 1 minute.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour and cocoa powder. Gradually mix in the chocolate mixture until smooth. Mix in peppermint extract.
- In an electric mixing bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold into batter. Pour into prepared pan and bake about 35 minutes, until center of surface looks dry and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with some sticky batter attached. Let cool fully in pan on cooling rack.
- For sauce, in a small saucepan over medium heat, mix confectioner's sugar, chocolate chips, and milk, stirring constantly until chocolate is smooth. Remove from heat. Crush peppermints. Just prior to serving, drizzle each slice with sauce and sprinkle with crushed peppermint.