Chocolate Malted Milk Angel Food Cake
Published March 15, 2013 | Written by The Healthline Editorial Team
Angel food cakes are often the go-to desserts for people looking for extremely low-fat desserts. However, while they lack a lot of fat, they also tend to lack a lot of flavor -- until now. Unsweetened cocoa and malted milk powder pack such a tremendous amount of flavor you'll never miss any of the fat.
|Serving size:||1 slice|
|Calories per serving:||168|
|Total Fat 1.0g||2%|
- 1 cup sifted cake flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 2 Tbsp. malted milk powder
- 2 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 12 large egg whites
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. almond extract
Step by Step:
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Sift together flour, 3/4 cup sugar, malted milk powder and cocoa into a large bowl.
- Beat egg whites and salt at high speed with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Add remaining 3/4 cup sugar, 2 Tbsp. at a time, beating until stiff peaks form. Add vanilla.
- Sift 1/4 cup flour mixture over egg whites and gently fold to combine. Repeat with remaining flour mixture, 1/4 cup at a time. Spoon batter into an ungreased 10-inch tube pan.
- Bake at 325° for 55 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Invert pan but do not remove cake; cool completely.
- Loosen cake from sides of pan and invert cake onto a plate.