Caribbean Black Beans and Rice
Published January 29, 2013 | Written by The Healthline Editorial Team
By rinsing and draining the black beans before cooking, you remove a large amount of sodium. For an extra pop of flavour, sprinkle a little vinegar and a few raw white onions on top of the finished beans.
|Serving size:||Approximately 2/3 cup|
|Calories per serving:||291|
|Total Fat 2.5g||4%|
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1-teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 (14-oz.) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup water
- 2 Tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce, or to taste
- 1 Tablespoon dried oregano
- 6 cups cooked long grain white rice
Step by Step:
- Spray a large, deep frying pan with vegetable cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat.
- Add peppers and sauté 2 minutes; add garlic and cook 30 seconds.
- Stir in beans and next three ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Serve with rice.