Caramelized Onion Soup
Published March 8, 2013 | Written by The Healthline Editorial Team
Caramelizing the onions takes some time, so plan accordingly. They can be browned and refrigerated up to two days ahead of when you're going to make the soup. Caramelized onions freeze beautifully, so why not double the onions and freeze half for another day?
|Serving size:||approx. 1 1/3 cups|
|Calories per serving:||208|
|Total Fat 4.4g||7%|
- 4 large yellow onions, thinly sliced
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 1 cup dry sherry
- 4 cups reduced-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 6 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, grated
- 6 slices French bread, toasted
Step by Step:
- In a large Dutch oven or stockpot sprayed with vegetable cooking spray, cook onions over medium-low heat covered, for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Uncover and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 20 minutes. Stir in sherry and bring to a simmer. Cook until sherry has evaporated. Add broth and bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, sprinkle 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese on top of each slice of bread and broil until melted. Remove and set aside.
- Season soup with pepper and soy sauce and ladle into bowls. Float a slice of Parmesan bread on top.