Caramelized Cauliflower Soup
Published February 22, 2013 | Written by The Healthline Editorial Team
Roasting cauliflower brings out its richness and sweetness, so don't be tempted to remove it from the oven until it's a dark golden brown.
|Serving size:||approx. 1 1/2 cups|
|Calories per serving:||126|
|Total Fat 2.4g||4%|
- 1 large head of cauliflower
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 1 head of garlic
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 large russet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 quart water
- 1 teaspoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- Freshly cracked black pepper
Step by Step:
- Preheat oven to 425° F. Cut cauliflower into 1 inch pieces, place on a baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray.
- Cut top 1/2 inch off the garlic bulb and place on a small piece of aluminum foil.
- Drizzle olive oil over garlic and wrap to close.
- Place on baking sheet and bake 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until cauliflower is golden brown and garlic is softened.
- In a large Dutch oven or stockpot sprayed with cooking spray, cook onion about 3 minutes, or until translucent.
- Add garlic and cook 30 seconds. Add cauliflower, potato, water, and bay leaf and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat and simmer 15 to 20 minutes or until potato is tender.
- Remove bay leaf and puree in batches, squeezing the roasted garlic into the first batch, until smooth.
- Return mixture to pan and heat until hot. Adjust seasoning with soy sauce and pepper.