Published February 8, 2013 | Written by The Healthline Editorial Team
Traditionally, idli is made from a fermented rice and dal batter but we're making them from semolina. These quick fix versions hardly need time to put together and can be fortified with any vegetables of your choice. Serve hot with peanut and coconut chutney or just with your regular ketchup.
|Serving size:||2 idlis|
|Calories per serving:||199|
|Total Fat 1.3g||2%|
- 1 cup toasted semolina
- 1/2 cup yogurt
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup corn kernels, boiled
- 3-4 French beans, finely chopped
- 2 green chillies, finely chopped
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- Salt to taste
Step by Step:
- Mix semolina, yogurt, and water to make a thin paste. Fold in the vegetables, if using. Add salt, mustard seeds, chopped green chillies, and baking soda. Let the batter stand for 3-5 minutes.
- Grease a microwave safe idli stand or glass bowls. This batter makes about 10 idlis.
- Pour the batter till the idli cup is 3/4 full. Microwave on HI for three minutes. Let the idlis rest for 2-4 minutes before removing them.
- Serve hot.