Black-Eyed Pea Soup
Published February 22, 2013 | Written by The Healthline Editorial Team
If you can't find frozen black-eyed peas, pick up the canned variety. Just make sure to rinse them at least twice to reduce the sodium added to preserve them.
|Serving size:||approximately 1 1/2 cups|
|Calories per serving:||222|
|Total Fat 8.0g||12%|
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 slices smoked turkey bacon, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 6 cups collard greens, roughly chopped
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 (16 oz.) package frozen black-eyed peas
Step by Step:
- In a large Dutch oven or soup pot, cook chopped bacon in oil until crisp and brown.
- Remove from pan and set aside.
- Cook onions in hot oil until translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook 30 seconds.
- Stir in greens and cook 7 to 8 minutes or until wilted.
- Add broth and water and bring mixture to a simmer.
- Add peas and cook 30 minutes or until greens are tender.
- Serve garnished with cooked bacon.