Published January 29, 2013 | Written by The Healthline Editorial Team
Spiced apples shine brightly in this lightly sweetened breakfast recipe. Whole wheat flour and fresh apples increase the nutritional value, while applesauce stands in for butter and adds texture. Enjoy with coffee or tea in the morning or as an afternoon snack.
|Serving size:||1 scone|
|Calories per serving:||141|
|Total Fat 3.8g||6%|
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (plus more for dusting)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup nonfat milk
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 apple, peeled, cored, and cut into small ( 1/4 inch) dice
Step by Step:
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and allspice. Set aside.
- In another medium-sized bowl, whisk together applesauce, milk, oil, brown sugar, and vanilla.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry slowly, mixing just until combined. Stir in diced apples.
- Turn out dough onto a work surface lightly dusted with flour. Press with your hands until dough comes together, then roll into a 12 inch round about 3/4 inch thick. Cut into 12 wedges of equal size. Place wedges about 1 inch apart on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake about 25 to 30 minutes, until scones are golden at the top and edges. Transfer scones to a cooling rack and let cool for at least 10 minutes before serving. Scones may be served warm or at room temperature.