Published January 29, 2013 | Written by The Healthline Editorial Team
Almond meal is a terrific super food made from ground blanched almonds that provides a cornmeal-like consistency. As a result, the product is low in carbohydrates but high in healthy fats--perfect for a satisfying breakfast.
|Serving size:||2 pancakes|
|Calories per serving:||436|
|Total Fat 34.7g||53%|
- 3/4 cup almond meal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- Maple syrup and chopped almonds to top (optional)
Step by Step:
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- Stir together almond meal, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together canola oil, eggs, vanilla, and applesauce. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, mixing just to combine.
- Coat a frying pan with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Once hot, spoon about 1/4 of the batter (more or less, depending on the size of pancake you prefer) into the frying pan. Cook for about 3 to 5 minutes, until the batter begins to bubble on top. Flip and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes until done. Transfer pancake to an ovenproof baking sheet or platter and place in oven to keep warm while you continue with remaining batter.