The quit rates of teens who participated in smoking cessation programs was 9.1% compared to a 6.2% quit rate for teen smokers not in cessation programs. Not all cessation programs were effective though. The best cessation programs included:
- Cognitive-behavioral techniques or strategies to enhance motivation;
- Social influence content to counter tobacco industry promotions, peer pressure, and media images;
- Programming within schools;
- At least five sessions; and
- Longer follow-up periods.
Photo credit: benkay