Making Community College Important
The habits that get established the first semester of college, including community college, are important and are related to the attitude of the teen and family. You can help your student do a better a job in school by taking college seriously, acknowledging how hard your child is working and giving them as much emotional and financial support as possible.
There are a few things you can do to help your student get a good start:
- Attend the parent orientation
- Encourage the student to join campus social groups
- Encourage your student to stay on campus to do homework, meet with professors and meet other students
- Encourage your student to talk about what s/he is learning, the professors, and any challenges
- Find any needed tutoring groups with your student (math, writing)
- Discuss how much housework they are expected to do
- Discuss any problems they are having turning off their computer, getting enough sleep, keeping a schedule
- Discuss financial expectations - is their room and board free, who pays for gas, car washes, and insurance, will you provide money for lunches or social activities?
Photo credit: Pat Hawks