Love is Respect
This is a really good site to explore with your teens as they begin a dating relationship. As parents, we tend to spend a lot of time talking about risks and less time talking about love, emotions, and respect. When newly in love, it is really easy for teen to get carried away with the emotions and excitement, without being conscious of the choices they are (or are not) making.
My favorite part of this site is the Teen Dating Bill of Rights and Pledge
I have the right:
- To always be treated with respect.
- To be in a healthy relationship.
- To not be hurt physically or emotionally.
- To refuse sex or affection at anytime.
- To have friends and activities apart from my boyfriend or girlfriend.
- To end a relationship.
- I pledge to:
- Always treat my boyfriend or girlfriend with respect.
- Never hurt my boyfriend or girlfriend physically, verbally, or emotionally.
- Respect my girlfriend's or boyfriend's decisions concerning sex and affection.
- Not be controlling or manipulative in my relationship.
- Accept responsibility for myself and my actions.