Children's Health Fact Sheets
For overall health in California the (2007) fact sheet suggests that compared to national averages, children in CA are:
- less likely to be in excellent or good health;
- less likely to have excellent or good oral health;
- less likely to be adequately "engaged" with school;
- less likely to be involved in activities outside of school;
- less likely (ages 0-5) to have families that read to them;
- more likely to have missed 11+ days of school in the past year;
- more likely to have ever been breastfed; and
- less likely to watch more than one hour of TV a day during the week.
I cannot say that it is a pretty picture at all, but CA is one of only two states requiring nutritional information in restaurants, so there is hope!
Photo credit: Mike Licht, NotionsCapital.com