Chest Pain? Don't Wait!
So, if you develop chest pain, especially if it feels like a heaviness or pressure sensation, or like an unfamiliar “indigestion” you should seek prompt medical attention. Other worrisome signs that it might be your heart include onset with or shortly after exertion, associated shortness of breath, nausea or sweating, and movement or radiation of the pain into the neck, jaw, back, shoulder or arm (either side).
Steps to take:
- immediately find a place to rest
- loosen any constrictive clothing
- call 911 right away and request an ambulance (they’ll arrive with the equipment needed to begin managing a heart attack, though you still need to get to the hospital for the definitive treatment)
- take an aspirin (if you’re not allergic to it)… best: chew and swallow 2 baby aspirins
- try to stay calm… to slow your heart rate and reduce how hard it must pump
But, most importantly, if you have worrisome symptoms, don’t wait!... get yourself promptly to the ER!
Stay alert and stay safe.
- Dr. Bob