Dr. Paul Auerbach is the world's leading outdoor health expert. His blog offers tips on outdoor safety and advice on how to handle wilderness emergencies.See all posts »
CA Academy of Sciences Center for Exploration & Travel Health
CAS Building in Golden Gate Park, CA
- To excel in providing exploration health services to the museum community; and
- To be a leading academic center in travel medicine research and education.
Also from their website:
Travel Services Mission
The clinical division of the Institute will consist of an in-house travel medicine and expedition consulting practice that will manage pre-travel and post-return medical concerns of Academy staff. The breadth of care will include:
- Recommend and administer vaccinations, prepare medications and special precautions for those entering areas with known hazards such as drug-resistant malaria, cholera, or special environmental hazards.
- Accompany expeditions to provide medical care, when appropriate.
- Provide special attention to chronic, age-related, and obstetric medical issues.
- Contact patients' primary care physicians and clinics, as appropriate.
- Maintain on-call staff physicians 24 hours for emergencies occurring during Academy expeditions, including communication with local health-care providers and coordination of safe and effective evacuation from research sites.
- Provide guidance regarding medical-ethical issues encountered during fieldwork abroad.
- Consult on Academy (and Aquarium) safety matters such as the handling of venomous animals, disaster planning and first-aid classes, in continued collaboration with the Department of Emergency Medicine at University of California, San Francisco (USCF).
Recent Blog Posts
Jul 01, 2013
In Advance of a Wildfire
Feb 11, 2013
Topical Ivermectin Lotion for Treating Head Lice
Feb 04, 2013
Public Health Interventions and Snowmobile Fatality Rates