November 16: Great American Smokeout
There has never been a better time to quit. That's the message from the American Cancer Society for this year's Great American Smokeout. We all know just how hard it is - how addictive tobacco is - but it can be done and ACS wants to help you do it.
- Within 20 minutes your heart rate and blood pressure drop.
- Within 12 hours your blood carbon monoxide level drops.
- Within 3 months your circulation and lung function improve.
- Within 9 months coughing, shortness of breath and immune function improve.
- Within 1 year the risk of coronary disease decreases and you look prettier (the latter is non-scientific - my personal observation)
- Within 5 years your risk of stroke is decreased.
- Within 10 years your risk of cancer is decreased.
For more in-depth information, read Healthline's Health Expert Jonathan Fould's Freedom from Smoking.
Thank you smokegirl_rebekah for use of image Neon Smoker Project