Dysfunctional Family Thanksgiving - Tips for Survival
Cheers to all the lucky souls who look forward to getting together for the holidays. Some of us make up lame excuses to avoid our families. Some us have good excuses (we have to work, we can't afford the air fare, we have rehearsals for upcoming performances). Some of us have to suck it up, face the music and get together with our dysfunctional families. What can we do to survive another year of obligatory bondage and family ritual?
- Make sure you have all of your prescriptions filled for whatever - especially things like migraine headaches. You need to be armed and medicated to get through this.
- Form alliances with family members who genuinely love, respect you and have a good sense of humor.
- Take daily walks with your allies and decompress about dysfunctional behaviors that are getting under your skin.
- Remove children from the toxic environment frequently and play ball or tag with them.
- Discharge negative energy with physical activity and laughter.
- Try not to keep score - you only have a few days to endure.
- Do not allow others to disrespect, embarrass, or manipulate you, even if it is your mother or child or _______ (fill in the blank).
- Keep your shields up - don't drink too much and leave your self vulnerable to attack.
Thank you cloudcloud25 for use of photo Dysfunctional Family Thanksgiving.