Kristy provides support for pregnant and laboring mothers and for transitioning families after the birth of their baby.See all posts »
Baby Wearing Recommendations
As you may have read in my last post, baby wearing is essential for creating a close bond with baby and helping baby feel safe, calm, and happy. Please read the full post for all the benefits. Here are my top recommendations for baby carriers. I also recommend that you find a class to take (most are free) or ask your doula for a tutorial on how to wear baby and on which carrier would be right for you and your partner. (Remember it's not just for mom). Hands free never felt so good.
Remember when wearing your baby these safety rules:
Baby should be close enough to kiss.
Baby should never have his chin resting on their chest.
Baby's head should be above the rest of their body.
Baby's knees should be higher than their bottom.
Baby's face shouldn't be covered by fabric.
Baby's head should be supported.
- It is woven in such a way that it supports the body of the child all over evenly and has built-in elasticity.
- Even after a long time of use and pressure, it does not stretch and wear out.
- The dyes are not poisonous. They are free from any heavy metals and completely non-allergic to the skin.
- The fabric is not processed and is made of long-fibrous cotton (free from poisonous chemicals) which has proved to be anti-abrasive.
2. The MOBY wrap:
It's so easy to use, sturdy and comfortable for both baby and wearer. There are so many ways to wear it for infant until even 2 years old. It comes with a how-to sheet or video.
3. The New Native sling. It’s made with organic cotton that is comfortable, stylish, easy to use, and all around wonderful! Great for nursing in. Has many sizes so every caregiver can get their own. You can wear twins in two. Great for wearing infants to toddlers that can eventually sit on your hip.
It is easy to use for both front and back carrying. It is great for hiking and gardening, house work and shopping, nursing, and simply holding your baby close.
- Balances baby's weight to parents' hips and shoulders
- Ergonomic design supports correct sitting position for hip/pelvis/spine growth
- Padded waist belt supports the lumbar area plus 1" thick padding in the shoulder straps
- Can be worn from newborn (with the additional Infant Insert) up to 60lbs
- Light weight to wear and easy to pack. More secure than a hard-frame for hiking and walking
5. Vatanai Woven Wrap -- it's Lightweight and comfortable to wear. Perfect for all seasons and in particular warm weather.
- Quality hypo-allergenic dyes are used
- Folds up really small and fits into a diaper bag when not in use (depends of course in size wrap purchased)
- Unique cross-wise stretch makes it very easy to handle
- Supportive for babies and toddlers
6. Beco Gemini .This is an all-in-one baby carrier that allows you to carry your baby comfortably in the front, hip or back. It comes in so many cool styles and is 100% organic and made in the USA.
- Because of its unique design, you are able to make the bottom of the body narrower easily through snaps.
- The body size works for an infant and through toddlerhood
- There's a headrest that is can be folded up or down. For a baby it provides excellent head support. With a toddler, it elongates the body, making it tall enough for a toddler.