Spring Garden is Fitness Health Goodness as a Lifestyle
The first lady is developing programs to promote healthy eating for American families. In an interview, she stated, "My hope is that through children, they will begin to educate their families and that will, in turn, begin to educate our communities… Its most important role, will be to educate children about healthful, locally grown fruit and vegetables at a time when obesity and diabetes have become a national concern."
Plans involve the entire First Family. President Barack Obama is scheduled to help weed and tend the garden.
In the 1990's US President Clinton and First Lady Hillary Clinton tended a rooftop vegetable garden.
In 1943, First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt planted a Victory Garden in front of the White House. (In the 1920s she was also prominent in the movement to allow women to vote in US elections.) Her White House war effort Victory Garden inspired millions. By 1945, 40 percent of produce in the US was grown at home.
White House Garden:
Start Your Quick Kitchen Garden In 5 Minutes:
Get Outdoors for Healthy Gardening:
- How to lift, bend, carry, squat - Yard Work - Limiting the Person Instead of the Injury Again?
- Read about teaching neighborhood children self-respect instead of vandalizing, and to reap what they sow, and share what they harvest for healthier neighborhoods - Lifestyle Fitness for Kids Through Gardening
- From Reader Ivy - Farm Work, Lifestyle Exercise, and Preventing Overuse Pain
- See reader photos of healthful bending, reaching, cleaning, playing, washing, and gardening - Household Fitness in the New Year
Better Warm-Up and Stretching For Gardening:
- Fast Fitness - Quick Warm Up
- Sitting Badly Isn't Magically Healthy by Calling It a Hamstring Stretch
- Fast Fitness - Don't Shorten Hip When Stretching Hamstring
- The Stretch You Need The Least
- Free Exercise and Free Back and Knee Pain Prevention - Healthy Bending
- Change Common Exercises to Get Better Ab Exercise and Stop Back Pain
For more Fitness Fixer on each topic, click labels gardening and green fitness under this post. The label children gives fitness of all kinds for children.
Subscribe to The Fitness Fixer, free. Click "updates via e-mail" (under trumpet) upper right.
Find your topics on the Fitness Fixer Index, and see Jolie's books on her website.
Recent Blog Posts
Mar 09, 2010
New Healthy Employment Programs for Developmentally Disabled
Mar 04, 2010
Reader Uses Fitness Fixer Advice to Shovel Snow Painlessly and Beat Mother Nature
Mar 01, 2010
Lactic Acid Myths