FDA Orders Suicide Risk Warning for Common Back Pain and Migraine Drugs, and Others
The FDA issued a public health alert today based on their review of 199 clinical trials. Specific drugs for epilepsy and psychiatric disorders are often prescribed to patients with migraine, back and body pain. The FDA review was released last January, and showed that patients taking those drugs had "almost twice the risk of suicidal behavior or thoughts than patients taking a placebo."
One of the drugs on the warning list is Neurontin (Gabapentin). Patients with back and various nerve and diabetic pain are commonly prescribed this drug. More drugs on the list are frequently prescribed for fibromyalgia and other pain: Lyrica (Pregabalin), Topamax (Topiramate), Celontin (Methosuximide), Felbatol (Felbamate), Zarontin (Ethosuximide) and others.
Here is a list of the medications required to add the warning:
* Carbamazepine (marketed as Carbatrol, Equetro, Tegretol, Tegretol XR)
* Clonazepam (marketed as Klonopin)
* Clorazepate (marketed as Tranxene)
* Divalproex sodium (marketed as Depakote, Depakote ER, Depakene)
* Ethosuximide (marketed as Zarontin)
* Ethotoin (marketed as Peganone)
* Felbamate (marketed as Felbatol)
* Gabapentin (marketed as Neurontin)
* Lamotrigine (marketed as Lamictal)
* Lacosamide (marketed as Vimpat)
* Levetiracetam (marketed as Keppra)
* Mephenytoin (marketed as Mesantoin)
* Methosuximide (marketed as Celontin)
* Oxcarbazepine (marketed as Trileptal)
* Phenytoin (marketed as Dilantin Suspension)
* Pregabalin (marketed as Lyrica)
* Primidone (marketed as Mysoline)
* Tiagabine (marketed as Gabitril)
* Topiramate (marketed as Topamax)
* Trimethadione (marketed as Tridione)
* Zonisamide (marketed as Zonegran)
Some of these drugs are also sold generically.
I will be covering migraine and other headache in the future. Instead of drugs to mask back pain, neck pain and various musculoskeletal and nerve pain, fixing the cause is healthier than drugs. By no longer injuring the area, the pain will stop and the area can heal. It is not matter of choosing between pain and often worse problems from the treatment.
To stop common causes of pain, and the need for drugs, start with these:
- Disc Pain - Not a Mystery, Easy to Fix
- Sitting Badly Isn't Magically Healthy by Calling It a Hamstring Stretch
- The Cause of Disc and Back Pain
- Fix Disc Pain Without Surgery
- How Much Inward Curve Space Should There Be In The Lower Back?
- Fast Fitness - Prevent Back Pain When Rowing
- Fix Scoliosis and Arthritis Pain, Fix New Orleans
- Prevent Knee Pain When Rowing
- Prevent Main Factor in Back Pain After Running and Walking
- Prevent Back Surgery
- Gaze Perseid Meteors Without Neck Pain
- Prevent Neck Pain and Get Upper Back Exercise Carrying Backpacks
- Upper Back Exercise and Neck Pain Prevention Too
- Free Exercise and Free Back and Knee Pain Prevention - Healthy Bending
- Fixing Leg Numbness, Back Pain, Flank Pain, Knee Pain, Nerve Pain, Three Unhealthy Surgeries, Part I
- Fixing Leg Numbness, Back Pain, Flank Pain, Knee Pain, Nerve Pain, Three Unhealthy Surgeries, Part II
- Cauda Equina - Result Not Cause
- Healthy Mother's Day
- Stomach Acid Drugs Increase Osteoporosis and Hip Fractures
Also recommended, available from my BOOKS page - www.DrBookspan.com/books:
- Fix Your Own Pain Without Drugs or Surgery
- Health&Fitness - How To Be Healthy Happy and Fit For The Rest of Your Life. THIRD edition.
- The Ab Revolution - No More Crunches No More Back Pain THIRD edition.
Recent Blog Posts
Mar 09, 2010
New Healthy Employment Programs for Developmentally Disabled
Mar 04, 2010
Reader Uses Fitness Fixer Advice to Shovel Snow Painlessly and Beat Mother Nature
Mar 01, 2010
Lactic Acid Myths