Fast Fitness - Sit On The Floor Without Back Pain
Here is Fast Friday Fitness - learn healthy floor-sitting, mobilize your pelvis, and use your core muscles and brains at the same time to move out of painful position to healthy comfortable sitting.
Here is a technique to identify if you sit in a way that is associated with lower back pain, and a technique to move out of unhealthful position:
1. Sit on the floor cross legged.
2. Notice your pelvis. Does it tilt backward at the top, so that the lower back rounds outward. This is too much tuck, demonstrated by my student Yash in photo 1 below:
3. Put your hands on the floor right behind your hips. Push against your hands to lift your back upright. Can you feel your hip tilt forward to upright position demonstrated in photo 2 below?
Sit well and you can sit without back pain.
If your hip is too tight to move out of unhealthful tilted position, then it is likely that you are sitting with your back in painful rounded position.
If you are tight, or do not know how to move your pelvis while sitting, it is often easier to learn to mobilize your pelvis standing or lying down. The pelvic tilt is misused in therapy settings. It is mistakenly thought of as a strengthener or a back pain fix. The muscle work (to strengthen) is minimal. The idea is to learn *how* to move the pelvis so that you can voluntarily move to the needed position, then hold it.
More on How to Move Your Hip/Pelvis to Neutral:
- A short movie - Friday Fast Fitness - Neutral Spine in 5 Seconds
- Another movie using the wall to guide you - Fast Fitness - How to Feel Change to Neutral Spine
- Photos to guide you - Neutral Spine or Not?
- Photos to help you spot it - Prevent Back Surgery
- Using Abdominal Muscles is Not Tightening or Pressing Navel to Spine
- Fast Fitness - Fixing Yoga Warrior and Lunge Exercise to Neutral Spine
- Which Stretch Stops Back Pain by Making Neutral Spine Possible?
- Fast Fitness - Fixing Your Handstand to Neutral Spine
- Fast Fitness - Sitting on The Floor Without Back Pain - Quick and Easy Strength and Balance Exercise
- Fast Fitness - Contest: What Does It Take To Sit Upright?
- Contest Winners - How Sit Up Straight
- Back to School - Healthy Sitting
- Does an Exercise Ball Make You Sit Straight?
Random Fitness Fixer:
Read success stories and send your own.
See if your answers are already here - click Fitness Fixer labels, links, archives, and Index.
For personal medical questions - Replies to Medical Questions.
Limited Class space for personal feedback. Top students may earn certification through DrBookspan.com/Academy. More fun in Dr. Bookspan's Books.
Recent Blog Posts
Mar 09, 2010
New Healthy Employment Programs for Developmentally Disabled
Mar 04, 2010
Reader Uses Fitness Fixer Advice to Shovel Snow Painlessly and Beat Mother Nature
Mar 01, 2010
Lactic Acid Myths