Fast Fitness - Hip Stretch and Spine Stability Training When Stretching Legs
Here is Fast Friday Fitness - Retrain your standing leg stretches to hold your spine and hip in healthful position, get more stretch to the front of the hip, use your back muscles, practice balance, and learn functional stretching - the way your body needs to move in real life in a healthy way.
When you raise one leg to stretch when standing:
- Keep your standing leg straight. Don't bend at the knee and hip, as pictured.
- Don't round your back or let your pelvis and hip round under you, as pictured.
- Stand straight. Relaxed. Don't force or strain. Breathe.
When stretching, remember function. Why practice a position that is rounded, tight, and detrimental to how you move in real life when you lift your legs. It would look silly and unhealthy to stand up that way. Why stretch that way?
Get functional stretch by lengthening your body enough to be able to straighten out. That is the purpose of the stretch.
Use the new length and your brain to stand straight. Transfer the positioning to real life when you are standing and lift one leg to take stairs, kick, dance, play sports, climb over things, and other life activities. Standing without being so tight that you round your body forward, or just round from habit, is healthier, better looking, burns more calories, and stops many sources of chronic aches and pains.
Send me your photos of fixing this stretch. Doing is the best learning. I will post the photos in a reader success story.
See how to retrain this same stretch lying down:
See photos of fixing this same stretch for kicking and stairs:
- Improve Stretch and Strength With Better Kicking
- What Does Stretching Do?
- Are You Making Your Exercise Unhealthy?
- Better Achilles Tendon Stretch
- Sitting Badly Isn't Magically Healthy by Calling It a Hamstring Stretch
- Is Bad Martial Arts Good Exercise?
- The Cause of Disc and Back Pain
- Better Exercise on the Stairs
- Common Exercises Teach Hip Tightness When Kicking, Stretching, and on the Stairs
Have The Fitness Fixer e-mailed to you, free.
Click "updates via e-mail" - Health Expert Updates (trumpet icon) upper right column.
Find fun topics on the Fitness Fixer Index.
Recent Blog Posts
Mar 09, 2010
New Healthy Employment Programs for Developmentally Disabled
Mar 04, 2010
Reader Uses Fitness Fixer Advice to Shovel Snow Painlessly and Beat Mother Nature
Mar 01, 2010
Lactic Acid Myths