Exercise Reduces Colon Cancer Risk
The British Journal of Cancer published a study finding that, "Exercise, including manual labor, cuts colon cancer (the most common kind of bowel cancer) by a quarter."(1)
Another study by the Division of Population Science at the Fox Chase Cancer Center found that, "People who get lots of exercise have a 30 percent to 40 percent lower risk of developing colon cancer" and that "A sedentary lifestyle accounts for as many as 14 percent of all colon cancer cases in the United States." (2)
They stressed in their findings that of 1,932 adults who answered questions about colon cancer risk, 85% did not list physical activity as a method of reducing their risk of colon cancer, and that "not all doctors are informing patients of this simple preventive approach."
According to Dr. Edward Giovannucci, professor at the Harvard School of Public Health, "Sedentary people can greatly benefit from starting a modest exercise program, such as gardening or walking two to three hours a week. Sedentary people should first set such moderate, achievable goals. More benefits could accrue from higher levels and more intense exercise, such as jogging, running or tennis. To some extent, more may be better, but it is important to note that a little is much better than nothing."
British Journal of Cancer. Volume 100 Issue 4, 2009.
2 Coups EJ, Hay J, Ford JS. Awareness of the role of physical activity in colon cancer prevention. Patient Educ Couns 71(2), 2008.
Key Encouraging Points:
- Exercise has definite, positive effect to reduce colon cancer risk
- Exercise reduces risk, even if you have a family history, or risk factors for the disease.
- Colon cancer is considered a largely preventable disease.
Related Fitness Fixer on Cancer:
- Exercise and Cancer
- Healthy Mother's Day
- Sunlight Needed for Physical and Mental Health
- Fast Fitness - Sprouts Inside and Out
- Junk Food Through Your Skin?
- World Vegan Day is November 1
- World Vegetarian Day
Related Fitness Fixer on Getting Started With Fun Exercise:
- Secret To Get Better and Fitter
- What is "Fitness as a Lifestyle?"
- Getting Stronger Without a Gym
- If you can't walk or run without pain, fix causes so you can enjoy running and walking again - Spotting Back Pain During Running and Walking - What Do Abs Have To Do With It?
Random, Unrelated Fitness Fixer:
Before asking questions, see if your answers are already here - click labels under posts, links in posts, archives at right, and the Fitness Fixer Index. For answers to personal medical questions - Replies to Medical Questions. Read and contribute your own success stories of Fitness Fixer methods.
Subscribe to The Fitness Fixer, free. Click "updates via e-mail" (under trumpet) upper right.
See Dr. Bookspan's Books, take a Class, get certified DrBookspan.com/Academy.
Recent Blog Posts
Mar 09, 2010
New Healthy Employment Programs for Developmentally Disabled
Mar 04, 2010
Reader Uses Fitness Fixer Advice to Shovel Snow Painlessly and Beat Mother Nature
Mar 01, 2010
Lactic Acid Myths