Common, Missed Cause of MusculoSkeletal Pain - Your Drugs
Three years ago, I started a series of Fitness Fixer posts about the extensive phenomenon of muscle, joint, and body pain occurring from common prescription drugs. The editors at that time asked me to defer writing about it. I have been watching the medical reports grow, substantiating the numbers and secondary problems of chronic pain from common medicines. This is a short summary, with more coming this summer.
Major side effects of body and muscle pain from common prescription drugs are not rare as once thought. Misdiagnosis of this pain is common. Unnecessary treatments, surgeries, and more drugs are often given. Exercises and stretches do not stop body pain from drugs:
- Statin drugs for cholesterol are a cause of muscle and joint pain, and sometimes, numbness or tingling in the fingers or toes
- Common prescription drugs for anxiety and depression. Even though this class of medicines may be prescribed for nerve pain, they can cause nerve and muscle pain as side effects
- Ritalin (methylphenidate hydrochloride) and related drugs
- Some prescription allergy medicines such as Allegra (Fexofenadine)
- Prescription acid prevention medicines called PPIs - proton pump inhibitors (Nexium, Prilosec, Prevacid, Zoton, Inhibitol, and others). PPIs have also been shown to greatly increase risk of hip fracture
- Erectile enhancing drugs
- The calcium channel-blocker drug verapamil
- The antibiotics erythromycin and clarithromycin
- Some HIV medications
- Prescription medicine for constipation like Zelnorm (Tegaserod), irritable bowel, and others digestive complaints.
- Migraine and headache prescriptions
- Medicines for fibromyalgia
- Even many medicines for pain, sadly have pain both as direct side effects and rebound pain, increasing drug dependence and pain cycles
- There are several more prescription drugs that cause more problems than they relieve. List your additions in the comments below.
Often the need for the original medicine can be stopped with simple healthy changes. Motivated people can address and change the original problem, making their life better and more active than before instead of paying for more medicines and the problems that come with them.
Two of my books teach how to fix pain and mention specific drugs and what to look for:
- Fix Your Own Pain Without Drugs or Surgery. Each chapter on each kind of pain gives a list of drugs that are known to cause pain.
- Health & Fitness THIRD ed - How to Be Healthy Happy and Fit For The Rest of Your Life. Several chapters include drug information pertinent to the condition covered, plus several chapters on general health, offering many ways to avoid needing the original medications.
- Click the link www.DrBookspan.com/books.
Related Fitness Fixer:
- Stomach Acid Drugs Increase Osteoporosis and Hip Fractures
- FDA Orders Suicide Risk Warning for Common Back Pain and Migraine Drugs, and Others
- Human Growth Hormone
- Doctor Fakes Benefits in 21 Pain Pill Studies
Questions come in by hundreds. I'm bailing the ocean with a bucket. I make posts from fun mail. Before asking more, see if your answers are already here - click labels under posts, links in posts, archives at right, and the Fitness Fixer Index. Why not try fun stuff, then contribute! Read success stories of these methods and send your own.
Subscribe to The Fitness Fixer, free. Click "updates via e-mail" (under trumpet) upper right.
See Dr. Bookspan's Books, take a Class, get certified - DrBookspan.com/Academy.
Recent Blog Posts
Mar 09, 2010
New Healthy Employment Programs for Developmentally Disabled
Mar 04, 2010
Reader Uses Fitness Fixer Advice to Shovel Snow Painlessly and Beat Mother Nature
Mar 01, 2010
Lactic Acid Myths