All the More Reason To Try - Exercise to Overcome Each Difficulty
E-mails and questions pour in - "I am weak from a recent bout of flu, will strengthening help me? I never had strong legs, should I bother doing leg exercise? My shoulders do not stay straight, they just become round when I let them, does that mean that I cannot have good posture? My ankles tilt toward each other when I stand up, does that mean that I should not stand straight? My balance is poor, why should I do balance exercise as I will just have a hard time of it. I have multiple sclerosis and it is tiring to stand up, should I try? I am overweight and have health problems from it, will I get any benefit from not eating so much? My toes are all tight from tight shoes, should I stretch my toes?"
These are real inquires. The answer to all is yes, you need the exercise even more than the person without these difficulties. Yes, work to overcome, to change what is hampering you, to regain function.
Hear it phrased this way:
"I earn less than the rest of my office, would getting a raise make a difference?"
"My car veers to the left ever since I hit that pothole, should I try to hold the wheel straight, even though it seems so natural for the car to swerve uncontrolled?"
"I just have a natural temper, why bother controlling it?"
When things are tough, you need to control it all the more.
If you like to run or swim but are slow, you need to work harder at speed, not omit speed work. You have to work to get results.
There is a saying "If the sword is not sharp, use a heavy handle." If you are not good at something, you need to work harder.
For inspiration, click the arrow to watch the video of The Thousand-Hand Guanyin, performed by 21 dancers of the Chinese Disabled People's Performing Art Troupe. All the dancers are deaf and cannot hear the music. Lead dancer is 29 year old Tai Lihua, who earned a BA degree from the Hubei Fine Arts Institute.
Relates Fitness Fixer:
- Diabetes - Top Diabetes Treatment is Exercise
- Colds and Flu - Regular Exercise Reduces Cold and Flu Incidence
- Cancer - Exercise and Cancer
- Arthritis - Simulation Suit To Feel the Pain of Osteoarthritis and Fix Scoliosis and Arthritis Pain, Fix New Orleans
- ADD/ADHD - Which Ancient Exercise Gives Focus and Concentration?
- Pregnancy - Back Pain in Pregnancy - and Why Men Can Get It
- Straighter Toes - Why You Need Toe Stretches
- Improve Your Balance - Better Balance by Christmas
- You Can Hold Up Your Own Arches - Arch Support Is Not From Shoes
- Stop Shoulder and Arm Nerve Impingement - Overhead Lifting, Reaching, and Throwing Part I - Shoulder and Rotator Cuff Injury
- Exercise and Aging - Don't Limit the Patient to Limit the Pain
- Overcome Osteoporosis - Stomach Acid Drugs Increase Osteoporosis and Hip Fractures
- Strengthening Self Control - How Strong Is Your Arm? - Readers Find Out
- Strengthening Your Humanity - Equinox - An Exercise in Treating People With Equality
- Strengthening Your Body and Will - Are You Stronger Than A 67 Year Old Lady?
Read and contribute your own success stories of these methods. Before asking questions, see if your answers are already here - click labels under posts, links in posts, archives at right, and the Fitness Fixer Index. Subscribe to The Fitness Fixer, free. Click "updates via e-mail" (under trumpet) upper right.
For answers to personal medical questions - Replies to Medical Questions. Limited Class spaces for personal evaluation. Top students may apply to certify through DrBookspan.com/Academy. See Dr. Bookspan's Books.
Recent Blog Posts
Mar 09, 2010
New Healthy Employment Programs for Developmentally Disabled
Mar 04, 2010
Reader Uses Fitness Fixer Advice to Shovel Snow Painlessly and Beat Mother Nature
Mar 01, 2010
Lactic Acid Myths