I just love summer fruit. I went to Costco yesterday and bought a flat of apricots and pounds of cherries. I am in fruit heaven. The nectarines made me think of making Stone Salsa with my dear friend Dona Richwine when we worked at the "Ask the Dietitian Program at Farmers' Markets doing food demos and giving out samples. People loved it!
Stone fruits are those that have a pit, such as peaches nectarines and apricots. This recipe makes great use of these summer delights and is a great twist on your traditional salsa. It's a hit with kids and fabulous for summer barbeques. From the kitchen of Dona Richwine I give you...
· 3 yellow peaches, ripe but firm
· 2 nectarines, ripe but firm
· 2 white peaches, ripe but firm
· 3-4 large apricots, ripe but firm
· 1/2 red onion
· 1 bunch cilantro
· Juice of 2 limes
1. Wash all fruit. Remove stones/pits and dice
2. Dice onion
3. Finely chop cilantro, leaves only
4. Mix everything together well with lime juice
Serve with tortilla chips, over fish, chicken or a side salad.
The yellow orangish color of these fruits packs this recipe with beta-carotene and valuable phytonutrients. Plus you also get a nice dose of fiber.
Have a fruit and veggie filled day!