Recipe of the Week: Classic Macaroni and Cheese
Here's a healthy twist on the beloved Mac & Cheese kiddie favorite. The American Dietetic Association (ADA) has come up with this lower fat version just in time for National Nutrition Month of course. Enjoy!
Classic Macaroni and Cheese
2 cups macaroni (try 1 cup whole wheat 1 cup regular for more nutrition oomph)
1/2 cup onions, chopped
1/2 cup fat-free evaporated milk
1 medium egg, beaten
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 1/4 cups low-fat sharp cheddar cheese (4 oz) finely shredded
Non-stick cooking oil spray
1. Cook macaroni according to directions. (Do not add salt to the cooking water.)Drain and set aside.
2. Spray a casserole dish with non-stick cooking oil spray. Preheat oven to 350° F.
3. Lightly spray saucepan with non-stick cooking oil spray.
4. Add onions to saucepan and sauté for about 3 minutes.
5. In another bowl, combine macaroni, onions and the remaining ingredients and mix thoroughly.
6. Transfer mixture into casserole dish.
7. Bake for 25 minutes or until bubbly. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Serving size: 1?2 cup
(Nutrition Facts per Serving: Calories: 200, Total fat: 4 g, Saturated fat: 2 g, Cholesterol: 34 mg, Sodium: 120 mg, Fiber: 1 g, Protein: 11 g, Carbohydrate: 29 g
Potassium: 119 mg)
If you and your kids like peas, add in a can to get a dose of legumes into your meal. You can also try making this dish with soy cheese to even further cut down on calories and fat.
Try throwing some steamed broccoli on top, or plate it surrounded by tomato wedges.
Once again big thanx ADA. Have a fruit and veggie filled day!
(photo courtesy of unwritten)
Recent Blog Posts