Recipe of the Week: California Chicken Wrap
National Nutrition Month came to a close but to keep the party going I want to share with you one more recipe from the American Dietetic Association that is easy and fun to eat.. even to make, get the kids in on the action. (This recipe was submitted by Elizabeth Arvidson, RD - I threw in a couple of tips to enhance).
California Chicken Wrap
Serves: 16 as an appetizer or 8 as a main course
1 lb. pre-cooked chicken strips (find in the deli or meat case in the grocery- some stores have a variety of flavors)
1 7 1?4 oz. jar roasted red bell pepper, water packed, divided
1 medium-size green bell pepper, trimmed, seeded and minced
4 oz. light cream cheese
1?2 tsp. garlic powder
1?4 tsp. ground cumin
1?4 tsp. cayenne pepper (optional)
4 10-inch flour tortillas (try to find whole wheat.. they are much more common now)
2 cups shredded romaine
1. Mince half of the roasted peppers; set aside the other half.
2. Combine the minced red and green bell peppers, cream cheese, garlic powder, cumin and cayenne.
3. Spread the mixture evenly over each tortilla.
4. Place the chicken evenly among the 4 tortillas.
5. Top with the remaining roasted peppers and romaine.
6. To 'wrap' the wrap:
- Place filling across the lower third of the tortilla.
- Fold the bottom edge of the tortilla over the filling.
- Fold both the right and left sides inward.
- Continue rolling up tightly, tucking the ends in, and enclosing the filling.
- Place seam-side down on parchment paper or foil, and then wrap it up.
7. If serving as a main dish, cut each wrap in half diagonally for a total of 8. If serving as an appetizer cut each wrap into 4 pieces for a total of 16.
8. Secure with a toothpick if necessary.
Nutrition Facts per wrap:
Calories: 510 kcal (sounds like a lot but keep in mind this is for 1 whole wrap which really is a meal in itself)
Fat: 17 g
Saturated fat: 5 g
Protein: 37 g
Carbohydrates: 49 g
Fiber: 4 g (probably a little more if you use whole wheat)
Cholesterol: 75 mg
Sodium: 820 mg