Recipe of the Week: Broccoli Apple Salad
Aw broccoli.. what can I say? I love this cruciferous vegetable packed with all kinds of nutrients like vitamin C, vitamin A (as beta-carotene), calcium, folic acid and fiber. What more could you ask for?
I personally prefer it steamed with a little olive oil, lemon and salt but kids seem to like it better raw with dipping sauce. Here's a little more creative way to try and get them to eat some more of it with this Broccoli and Apple Salad
- 2 Fuji, Pink Lady or Mackintosh apples
- 3 cups raw broccoli, cut up
- 1/4 cup roasted walnuts or pecans, chopped
- 1 Tbl. Red onion, chopped (optional)
- 1/3 cup raisins, dried cranberries or dried cherries
- 1/2 cup vanilla lowfat yogurt
- Core and chop apples into bite sized pieces. Mix all ingredients together. Serve on a bed of lettuce if you think that might make it a bit more enticing.
- Get your kids to take part in making this salad. The little ones can help by tearing up the broccoli into smaller pieces. They'll be more likely to eat it if they have some ownership over it.