Recipe of the Week: Apricot Couscous
2 cups dry whole wheat couscous
2 cups water
1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 cup diced apricots
1/2 cup dried currants, raisins, cranberries or cherries (my personal favorite)
3/4 cup chopped green onions
1/2 cup chopped, toasted pistachios
1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
2 1/2 Tablespoons olive oil
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1. In a medium sized pot combine water, salt and 1/2 Tbs. olive oil.
2. Bring to a boil on the stove top. As soon as water comes to a boil, turn off heat and add couscous.
3. Let stand for 5 minutes and fluff with a fork.
4. Transfer couscous to a large mixing bowl
5. Add diced apricots, currants, green onions, pistachios, fresh mint, lemon juice, remaining olive oil, cinnamon and cumin to bowl.
6. Toss well to combine all ingredients evenly.
Serves approximately 8 - 1 cup servings
Fat 7 gm
Fiber 5 gm
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 302 mg
Dona actually cooks the couscous in the microwave in a bowl large enough to add the rest of the ingredients once the couscous is done. It saves an extra step. But I have a little less success microwaving couscous since all microwaves are different. But try it that way too.
Have a fruit and veggie filled day!