More Health and Safety Tips for Halloweenie!
Thanx for the great response to Monday's post Candy Free Halloween Treats (and Tricks)! I thought I'd better do a quickie followup to share a couple of great tips and info that was passed on to me from readers.
First, a big thank you to Ruth who brought up the issue of food allergies our kids may have, and how Halloween can be a potential disaster for our unsuspecting little ones. She has referred us to another blog (Allergizer.com) detailing an incident last Halloween where a child unknowingly ate a candy bar with peanuts resulting in a severe allergic reaction. The author urges parents who have kids with food allergies to take necessary precautions before sending their child out trick or treating. She offers up a great website, The Food Allergy & Anaphylaxis Network that lists safety tips for parents to heed on Halloween. To read about her incident, Allergy Safe Halloween Trick or Treating, click here. And to get the list of safety tips from The Food Allergy & Anaphylaxis Network go to http://www.foodallergy.org/Support/Halloween/SafetyTips.html.
Now to the next piece of interesting info. This is something I hadn't heard of before. I teach Introduction to Human Nutrition at UCLA Extension, and last night in class we were having a discussion about Halloween (of course they wanted to know what I give out to trick or treaters). One of my students, Meredith, told the class about dentists who actually offer to buy kids' candy after Halloween. The dentists then discard it so no teeth get hurt. The kids become mini entrepreneurs in a way. Interesting concept. If you know of any dentists that do this pass it along or suggest it to yours. And let me know what you think of this practice.
If any of you have any more useful tips whether they are about having a healthy Halloween and/or a safe one, please pass them along before Ghouls-day and I'll make sure I get them up.
Have a healthy and safe Halloweenie!
Recent Blog Posts