Get advice on healthy eating, nutrition, and weight loss from expert dietitian Tara Gidus.See all posts »
Superfood of the Week: Health Benefits of Pecans
Nuts are high on my list of favorite superfoods. They're full of vitamins, minerals, and healthy fats that keep our bodies going strong, and they taste great too! I love all types of nuts, especially those that can really make a difference in our overall health.
For a delicious nut that’s bursting with nutrients try this week’s superfood: pecans!
Pecans taste great and can help you look and feel great, too. They are so high in antioxidants that they are called the “AntioxiNUT!” These nuts are high in essential nutrients for our bodies, including:
- Fiber for fullness and regularity.
- Over 19 vitamins and minerals including vitamin A, calcium, potassium and more!
- Protein to keep you full which can aid in weight loss.
- The highest amount of antioxidants of all nuts.
- Beta-sitosterol to help lower cholesterol.
- Heart-healthy fats.
Pecans are naturally good for you and research has linked them to lower rates of cancers and heart disease. It doesn’t get much better than that!
Not only are pecans great for your health, but they’re also one of the best tasting nuts! I love pecans in all different ways: roasted, baked, paired with my favorite foods, or even alone as a snack. Try pecans:
- Sprinkled on top of yogurt.
- Added to all types of salads.
- As a topping for whole grain pancakes and waffles.
- Eaten straight from the bag as a snack (in controlled portions!).
- Added to baked goods such as muffins, granola bars and bread.
- Mixed with dried fruit for trail mix.
- Incorporated into your favorite recipes!
Pecans taste great mixed with all different dishes at each meal! For breakfast I sprinkle pecans on top of my oatmeal or prepare this delicious pecan granola. If I’m in the mood for pecans with my lunch or dinner I add them to a delicious salad or make this delicious Chicken with Asparagus, Georgia Pecans, and Couscous.
Pecans can be used for so much more than Pecan Pie! Enjoy some today!