Get advice on healthy eating, nutrition, and weight loss from expert dietitian Tara Gidus.See all posts »
Superfood of the Week: Health Benefits of Greek Yogurt
Going Greek—Yogurt That Is!
I’m always looking for foods and snacks that satisfy, and protein is one way to satisfy hunger. When you think protein, your mind may go straight to meat, but there’s another way that is my favorite and also our superfood of the week: Greek Yogurt!
Greek yogurt is a superfood for many reasons, not only for its high protein content. At roughly 13 to 20 grams of protein per serving it is a worthy contender to regular yogurt, which usually has about 4 to 8 grams of protein. What a difference!
Here are some other reasons why Greek yogurt is one of my favorites:
- high in calcium
- thicker and creamier than regular yogurt
- low in sodium
- lower in lactose, which makes it easier to digest for those with lactose intolerance
- contains probiotics (good) bacteria
- most brands are lower in sugar than American style
In addition to the benefits above, there are many ways to eat it! Try your Greek yogurt:
- topped with fruit and nuts
- as a yogurt parfait
- in smoothies
- for the base of a yogurt dip
- as a replacement for sour cream and/or mayo
The only caution is to read labels and make sure you are getting the low-fat or fat-free variety. Traditional Greek yogurt is really high in fat! Choose the zero or two percent varieties.
Are you a Greek yogurt convert like me? What’s your favorite way to eat Greek yogurt?