Get advice on healthy eating, nutrition, and weight loss from expert dietitian Tara Gidus.See all posts »
Are you looking for a crunchy snack? Sometimes you just crave something crunchy and you have to move those jaws to get the satisfaction you desire.
Fun facts about snacking:
- The word "snack" comes from a Dutch word, snacken, which means "to bite."
- Potato chips were considered unessential food in World War II and production was halted until manufacturers protested and they were allowed to make them again.
- It takes 10,000 pounds of potatoes to make 3,500 pounds of potato chips
- Corn chips weren't popular until the 1960's with the launch of Doritos.
- Cheetos were invented in 1948.
- Pretzels are traced back to Roman times around 610 when a monk shaped the dough to imitate someone praying.
- The average person eats about 6 pounds of potato chips each year.
- The average potato chip is between 0.04 and 0.08 of an inch thick.
Need some healthier or new ideas for crunchy snacks? Check these out (some are hard to find at the store, so just order them online and get them delivered right to your doorstep):
Glenny's Soy Crisps
They come in many flavors (salty and sweet) and also in individual bags so you can eat the whole bag and not feel guilty (140-160 calories per bag). Because they are made from soy, they are a higher protein, higher fiber snack than potato chips. They also contain 30% of your calcium for the day. My favorite is the Olive oil (mediterranean spice) flavor. They also have a few organic flavors.
Glenny's Multigrain Pastry Crisps
Cinnamon and sugar flavor
All natural, no hydrogenated oil, and contain 18 grams of whole grain per serving. They
are 120 calories per ounce.
These are very new and come in potato, corn, or rice chips. They are all natural, no preservatives, no trans fat, no saturated fat, and some are organic. 1ounce is 23 chips and 120 calories.
Kashi TLC Party Crackers
Kashi has come out with a new cracker that is larger than their original TLC cracker, ideal for parties. Three flavors, whole grain, no trans fat, 3 grams fiber for 120 calories.
All Bran Snack Bites
All Bran has multigrain crackers which are fabulous at 5 grams of fiber and 130 calories per serving. They also have these All Bran Brown Sugar Cinnamon snack bites which are sweet individual packs of crackers and also contain 5 grams of fiber and just 110 calories.
Nabisco Garden Harvest Toasted Chips
They have 60% less fat (4 grams) than potato chips, have some whole grains (17 grams) and fiber (3 grams). They come in a vegetable medley or tomato basil variety which has a half serving of vegetables per serving and an apple cinnamon or banana flavor which has a half serving of fruit. While I don't think these chips can or should replace your other servings of fruits and vegetables, every little bit helps!
Photo courtesy of r@puneseLL