Get advice on healthy eating, nutrition, and weight loss from expert dietitian Tara Gidus.See all posts »
Small Changes, Big Results
Want to lose a large amount of weight and keep it off? Make small changes.
Looking for a way to lose a large amount of weight and keep it off? Make small changes. Many people look for quick fixes and go on diets that deprive them of their favorite foods, which only leads to weight regain. To lose weight and keep it off, start small, and make subtle changes that will lead to a different lifestyle; one that you can stick to!
Cutting out 100 to 300 calories per day can lead to weight loss over the long run, and you’ll barely notice the changes you’ve made in your diet! For simple ways to cut out calories without depriving yourself try the following:
- Swap water and low calorie sparkling water for soda and high calorie fruit juices.
- Use a spritz of olive oil instead of 2 tablespoons.
- Switch from whole or 2 percent milk to 1 percent or fat free milk.
- Replace regular cheese and yogurt with low-fat or fat-free versions.
- Choose lean meat, such as poultry and fish, and keep the serving size to 4 oz portions.
- Make half of your plate vegetables, and the rest lean meat and whole grain starches.
- Have a single serving of frozen yogurt for dessert instead of regular ice cream.
- Swap mayonnaise with mustard, hummus, or avocado.
- Use smaller cups, bowls and plates at meals to reduce the portion sizes.
- Steam vegetables instead of sautéing.
Cutting calories is easy and fun! Try one or two of these tips at first, and then include as many as you can.
Cutting a couple hundred calories each day can have a big impact on your weight loss and health goals. Switch up your regular routine for big results without rearranging your life!