Get advice on healthy eating, nutrition, and weight loss from expert dietitian Tara Gidus.See all posts »
I am busy. Period. Now that I have a child, I have learned why people say that you blink and life is passes by at warp speed. Basil is still only 10 months old, but life has definitely taken on a new speed--fast! In order to survive, efficiency is necessary.
Do you find that as your life continues to get busier everything moves faster, including how fast you eat? We are speeding through our meals and eating on the go more than ever. I have a rule that I will not eat in the car. How can you be mindful about what you are eating if you are trying to stuff french fries into your mouth while merging onto the highway? It is not just unappetizing, but dangerous!
Let's make a pact to become more mindful about what we eat. Remember reading my post on Taste-y Tidbits? Savor your food and enjoy the taste, texture, and feeling you get from your food. Food is meant to be enjoyed, so savor every bite. It does take about 20 minutes for your stomach to signal fullness to your brain, so savoring your food and taking longer to eat may even help you lose weight by eating smaller portions.
- Take smaller bites
- Chew thoroughly before swallowing
- Put your fork down between bites
- Take a sip of water between bites
- Linger over your meals, enjoying the ambience and company
- Create a pleasurable environment and remove distractions
- Turn off the TV, light some candles, play soft music, and dim the lights
- If you finish your meal with something sweet, a few bites is enough to satisfy