Get advice on healthy eating, nutrition, and weight loss from expert dietitian Tara Gidus.See all posts »
Stay Slim in the Holiday Season
It's that time of year again: Food is tempting you as holiday parties fill your calendar, but you’re concerned about fitting into your little red dress! How about focusing on how to eat between those parties to keep you on track this holiday season?
Check out my segment on The Daily Buzz recently talking about this!
Tip 1: Eat a Filling Breakfast!
- If you start your day with satisfying foods, you won’t be as tempted by the treats. Protein is the name of the game for a filling and satisfying breakfast.
- If you’re looking to cut back on fat and calories, go with Egg Beaters--have the calories of shelled eggs with no cholesterol or fat.
- Make a veggie mug scrambler on busy morning (see recipe below).
Tip 2: Keep Yourself Fueled With Snacks
- Snacks are a bridge between meals to keep you satisfied and happy
- Look for whole grain snacks that contain fiber to keep you more full and satisfied
- One of my favorite? Orville Redenbacher SmartPop! popcorn is ideal because it is a whole grain with fiber and only contains 100 calories in SIX cups!
Tip 3: Portion Control!
- When you’re not at holiday parties, it’s absolutely critical to watch your portions at lunch and dinner.
- A recent study found that people who at Healthy Choice meals for lunch and/or dinner for just 30 days were able to understand proper portion sizes--and they lost weight and inches around their waist.
- Have a portion controlled frozen meal for lunch or dinner to keep overall calories for the day under control.
Recipe: Very Veggie Egg Mug Scrambler
Total Time: 10 minutes; Makes: 1 serving (1 scrambler each)
- PAM® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray3 small frozen broccoli florets, chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh carrot
- 1/2 cup Egg Beaters® 100% Liquid Egg Whites
- 2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
- Dash ground black pepper
- Salsa, optional
- Spray inside of large microwave-safe mug with cooking spray. Add broccoli and carrot. Microwave on HIGH 30 seconds; blot vegetables dry with paper towel.
- Add Egg Beaters, 1 tablespoon cheese and pepper to mug; mix well.
- Microwave on HIGH 1 minute. Stir; microwave 30 seconds more or until set. Top with remaining 1 tablespoon cheese. Serve immediately with salsa, if desired.
The scrambler puffs up and fills the mug while cooking. It falls quickly once removed from microwave.Use a large (15-ounce) microwave-safe mug to hold the ingredients and to reduce the chance of overflow. Mugs that are wider and shorter work best. A 2-cup glass measure may be used as well.Microwave wattages vary; adjust cook time as needed. Cook the scrambler just until the egg is set.