Get advice on healthy eating, nutrition, and weight loss from expert dietitian Tara Gidus.See all posts »
If you are a Caffe Mocha drinker at Starbucks....listen up! Starbucks has just announced that it has Sugar Free Mocha syrup for it's Caffe Mochas! This is huge news....the mocha is one of the most popular drinks at Starbucks, and as you know, Starbucks is everywhere! Even if you don't get your coffee from Starbucks, keep reading because you may get some tips on how to lighten up the calories of your coffee drink.
A Tall (12 oz) Mocha contains almost as many calories as some of us should be having for a meal! If you are ordering a larger size, remember that you are ordering a lot more calories, too.
Tall Mocha (made with mocha syrup, whole milk, whipped cream)
15 grams of fat
9 grams saturated fat
25 grams of sugar
Here's how to Skinny it down: Order it with nonfat milk, sugar free syrup, and no whip
0 grams fat
0 grams saturated fat
12 grams sugar (it is naturally in milk)
Tips to make your drink skinnier:
- Use sugar free syrups. Starbucks has sugar free caramel, hazelnut, or cinnamon dolce syrups. Most coffee shops have at least one sugar free syrup to choose from. They contain zero calories and zero fat.
- Skip the whip. You can ask for extra foam instead. Depending on the drink, skipping the whip can save you 60-110 calories and 6-11 grams of fat.
- Switch to lower fat milk. Most coffee places will have 2%, nonfat, or soy milk. You can save up to 120 calories and 15 grams of fat!
- Add sugar free sweeteners (Splenda, Equal, etc) to your drink to satisfy your sweet tooth.
- In the summertime, an iced coffee or frozen Frappucino can hit the spot. Get the light variety and you can save yourself up to 250 calories!
A 12 oz latte has a full serving of milk and contributes 30% of your calcium for the day!
To find out how many calories are in your morning Starbucks drink, click here.
20 Starbucks beverages for less than 200 calories.
Logo and coffee photo courtesy of starbucks.com