Get advice on healthy eating, nutrition, and weight loss from expert dietitian Tara Gidus.See all posts »
I know you have heard it before...breakfast is the most important meal of the day. You hear this all the time because it is true! I think all meals are important, but breakfast is extra important to kick start that metabolism from overnight. Eating breakfast helps to replenish your glycogen stores that were depleted overnight.
I like to have a nice mix of carbs and protein for breakfast and it is also a great time to get some fruit or vegetables. Most people don't eat enough protein at breakfast and get really hungry midmorning. A midmorning snack is great and I always have one, but a little bit more protein in your breakfast will keep you satisfied for a little bit longer and you won't be ravenous at snack time.
Sample protein/carb/fruit or vegetable breakfasts:
- Smoothie with whey or soy protein powder mixed into fresh or frozen fruit and milk or small amount of juice. Have a vitamuffin with it!
- Veggie omelette with potatoes or whole grain toast
- Egg(s) on whole grain english muffin with sliced tomato
- Greek yogurt (Fage, Chobani, Oikos) with granola and berries
- Whole grain bagel with lox (salmon), tomato, and capers
- Leftovers from the night before
If you like convenience (who doesn't?), check out these new frozen breakfast meals from Cedarlane. They have omelettes and breakfast burritos. Some vegetarian, some not. Fast, easy, healthy, and satisfying!