Get advice on healthy eating, nutrition, and weight loss from expert dietitian Tara Gidus.See all posts »
Return to Home Cooking
Because money is not as plentiful as it once was, many people are cutting back on a lot of things...and food is one of them!
These foods saw the following price increases:
- Milk: 11.6%
- Eggs: 29.2%
- Vegetable oils: 8%
- Bread: 9%
- High price of gas
- Food is too high in calories
- Economy has tightened the wallet
- Batch cooking. Cook large amounts of soups, chili, lasagna, casseroles, etc. that will provide a few meals of leftovers for later in the week
- Brown bagging it. People like the control they have over what is going into their lunch as well as the cost and time savings from not eating out.
- Home entertaining. Pot luck at our house! We have done this in our own home many times in the past few months. It is a great way to get friends together without the cost of high priced drinks and food at a restaurant.
- Cookbook sales are up!
- Subscriptions to cooking magazines are up!
- Pasta, canned goods, baking items, and spices sales are up!
- Cookware sales are up!