Get advice on healthy eating, nutrition, and weight loss from expert dietitian Tara Gidus.See all posts »
November is Peanut Butter Lovers Month
How do you like your peanut butter? Smeared on a sandwich with jelly, as a topping for apple slices, or plain right out of the jar? I agree, it’s finger licking good. My favorite? A spoonful dunked in a hot bowl of oatmeal. When it melts, it makes the bowl divine.
Peanut Butter Lover’s Month is a food holiday that I support. Not only is peanut butter sticky good, it is rich in protein and healthy -- as long as you choose one that is “natural” or not made with hydrogenated oils. This month is not just about raising awareness about peanut butter, but celebrating peanut butter lovers like you and me! So cheers to us. Let’s delight in why we love this nutty butter together. Here are some of my favorite ways to eat peanut butter:
- Cookies. Cookies don’t have to be devoid of nutrition. Try these Peanut Butter Cookies made with whole-wheat flour and applesauce.
- Smoothies. Peanut butter makes smoothies creamy and delicious. Blend together a frozen banana, peanut butter, and skim milk for a mid morning or afternoon treat. Recipe: Peanut Butter and Banana Smoothie
- Oatmeal. Jazz up your classic bowl of oats with a spoonful of peanut butter. I know it sounds a little weird, but after you try it, I’m sure you will be pleasantly surprised at the flavor enhancement.
- Soups. Make your soup even more comforting with peanut butter. Try this African inspired Peanut and Squash Soup.
- Pancakes. Add more protein to your pancakes with this recipe for Peanut Butter Pancakes.
- Spread. Smear on top fruits, veggies, or toast before a run. For a tasty treat make kid-favorite Pumpkin Pie Dip by mixing canned pumpkin and peanut butter together with honey and pumpkin pie spices.
- Popcorn. This is on my list of must make foods this fall: Peanut Butter Popcorn.
- Pad-Thai anyone? Peanut butter is a signature ingredient in Asian cuisine. Give your foods that authentic Thai flavor with peanut butter.
- Make snack-time fun! Kids love it when food is exciting. Why not shake up snack-time with kid favorite peanut butter? Make cute snacks like this Apple, Peanut Butter and Granola Sandwich, or ants on a log.
What’s your fave way to eat PB?