Get advice on healthy eating, nutrition, and weight loss from expert dietitian Tara Gidus.See all posts »
Meals in a Flash
photo courtesy of Ikescs
Think you have no time? Try these simple tips for healthy eating in a flash!
Cook Meals Ahead of Time
One of the easiest ways to ensure healthy eating throughout the workweek is to prepare your meals on the weekend. Set out a few hours on Sunday to prepare a few healthy meals that can be eaten throughout the week. Some examples of meals you can pre-prepare are soups, salads, pasta, and stir-fry.
Quick and Easy Meals
If you prefer your food fresh and made daily, try these simple meal ideas!
- Cereal with fruit and skim milk
- Instant oatmeal with fruit and skim milk
- Toast with 2 tablespoons of peanut or almond butter and banana
- Yogurt with fruit and a sprinkle of granola
- Scrambled eggs with toast
- Nutrition bar or shake
- Turkey sandwich with veggies on whole wheat bread
- Hummus and veggie sandwich on pita bread
- Salad with beans or chicken and mixed vegetables
- Peanut butter and banana sandwich
- Frozen meal with a piece of fruit
- Two minute brown rice with beans and vegetables
- Large salad with your favorite add ins
- Vegetable quesadilla
- Pre-made roasted chicken with mixed vegetables
- Whole wheat pasta with red sauce, vegetables, and lean meat
- Low-sodium canned soups
- Homemade soup like this Roasted Red Pepper Soup
Serve each meal with a side salad and low-fat dressing for balanced meals.
Snacks are also an important part of each day to keep you fueled and to satiate your hunger in between meals. Try yogurt, nutrition bars, fruit, nuts, or vegetables with hummus.
Try these quick ideas for easy and healthy meals that the entire family will enjoy. Plan in advance or make simple dishes the day of, either way will ensure healthy eating in no time.