Get advice on healthy eating, nutrition, and weight loss from expert dietitian Tara Gidus.See all posts »
Heart Your Cart
With the month of February being heart month, it is a good time to do everything you can to show your families’ hearts some love! A healthy diet is one of your most powerful weapons in the fight against heart disease. Building a heart healthy diet starts at the grocery store!
A recent survey conducted by Welch’s found that there is a significant gap between our awareness of the heart health benefits of common foods and our purchase habits. In general, there may be many reasons we don’t buy the things we should, whether it be because of time, money, or just being overwhelmed by the numebr of food choices at the supermarket.
Have no fear, it can actually be easier than you thought to “heart your cart” with foods that are simple to prepare, convenient, and delicious! Here’s how to be heart smart at the grocery store and choose good-for-you foods!
- Stock up on a colorful variety of produce and when possible look for fruits and vegetables that are in season.
- ¼ of your plate should be protein. Choose lean meats such as skinless poultry, lean beef, and fish.
- Reach for whole wheat breads as opposed to white breads. Look for the label to say 100% whole wheat bread and also that it contains at least 3 gm of fiber.
- Look for 100% fruit juices like Welch’s 100% grape juice made with Concord grapes. Each 4 oz glass counts as one serving (1/2 cup of fruit) and contains no added sugar.
- Keep your bones healthy by keeping calcium rich dairy foods on hand. Fat free milk is a go-to as well as low fat yogurt and reduced fat cheese.
- Choose reduced fat, low fat, light or fat free salad dressings to use for salads, dips or marinades.
Heart your cart this February and develop great habits that will last year round! For more useful information, shopping lists, educational videos, and recipes visit Welch’s Reward your Heart website.