Get advice on healthy eating, nutrition, and weight loss from expert dietitian Tara Gidus.See all posts »
Smart Snacking: Lose Weight By Eating More Often
Oftentimes the first thing that people do when trying to lose weight is cut meals and snacks out of their diet, but when you’re eating for health my philosophy encourages you to eat more throughout your day. Eating regular, portion controlled meals and snacks helps you maintain high energy levels, keeps your metabolism going, and curbs your hunger—which prevents overeating later in the day. These benefits make it clear to see that eating regularly throughout the day is crucial to weight loss and your overall health.
Now, just because I said you should eat at regular intervals throughout the day doesn’t mean you can eat whatever you’d like. The trick with snacks is portion control and finding foods that will keep you full until your next meal. To achieve this, look for foods that are real and wholesome, and which provide around 100-150 calories a serving.
Healthy Snack Ideas
- bars—my two faves include SOYJOY and KIND
- low-fat Greek yogurt
- fresh fruit
- low-fat or air-popped popcorn (it’s a whole grain!)
- banana and hazelnut spread
- celery and peanut butter
- whole grain crackers and Laughing Cow cheese
- ½ sandwich: bread with lean meat or cheese
- cottage cheese and fruit
- high fiber cereal with milk
- pita with veggies and hummus
- trail mix (including nuts or seeds)
- veggies with low fat dip or hummus
- string cheese
- hard boiled egg
- handful of nuts (peanuts, almonds, walnuts, cashews, pecans)
- V-8 juice
- edamame (boiled green soybeans)
If you just need some potato chips, try popchips! Unlike most potato chips, popchips are air-popped, not baked or fried. And they’re delicious!
General Tips for Smart Snacking
- eat at least 2 snacks daily
- eat snacks 3-4 hours after the previous meal
- choose snacks that are 100-150 calories (200 at the most!)
- eat until you are satisfied, not full
- choose snacks that are high in either fiber or protein
- choose whole grains when possible
- mix it up by eating a variety
With these simple tips you’ll be healthy snacking in no time! Grab your favorite snacks and make them a part of your regular routine for optimal health and wellness, and a pick me up during your busy day.