Get advice on healthy eating, nutrition, and weight loss from expert dietitian Tara Gidus.See all posts »
Super Nutrient of the Month: Vitamin C
Vitamin C, also known as ascorbic acid, is probably the most well known vitamin of all. It is a water soluble vitamin that not only performs as an antioxidant, but also plays a part in various body functions such as:
- Maintaining and repairing body tissue
- Strengthening blood vessels
- Absorbing calcium in order to assist in the formation of bones and teeth
- Helping to maintain resistance to infections
- Lowering levels of blood cholesterol
- Aiding in the absorption of iron
Since humans do not have the ability to make their own vitamin C, we must obtain it through our diets. Everyone from children to athletes should make sure they are getting adequate amounts of vitamin C each day through foods such as broccoli, red peppers, strawberries, raspberries, oranges, spinach, cauliflower, and grapefruit! When you’re in a time crunch it’s sometimes hard to get those veggies in daily.
Guess what? Even pizza can be high in Vitamin C! Here is a quick, easy and vitamin C rich pizza recipe that you can prepare in no time!
Mediterranean Chicken Pizza, (Courtesy of Runner’s World Magazine March 2012)
Serves: 4 Total time: 15 minutes
- Place a 12 inch whole wheat pizza crust on a baking sheet and bake at 400ºF for 6 minutes.
- Remove crust and turn over to broil.
- Spread ¾ cup jarred pesto on crust and top with 1 cup spinach, 8 oz packaged cooked chicken breast strips (such as Tyson), 2/3 cup jarred, sliced roasted red peppers, 2/3 cup jarred, sliced olives, ½ cup torn fresh basil, and 4 oz crumbled goat cheese or low fat grated mozzarella.
- Season with black pepper.
- Broil for 1 minute.